Sunday, February 27, 2011

SELLING HIGHS ON THE DOWN LOW!

Say What?! 

SELLING HIGHS ON THE DOWN LOW!

H[EAR] ON MUSIC by N. Arthur



Despite intensified crackdowns on drug traffickers in Kenya, dealers are increasingly becoming smarter at eluding police dragnets as they continue to profit from the trade.


SAY What!? investigative journalist, N. Arthur, tells of his run-in with a notorious drug dealer, who plies her ruthless trade under the cover of being an instrumentalist in a band.
It was the subtle sign that first attracted my attention.  I was taking my regular evening walk, when the setting sun cast a ray of light on a crude mabati sign nailed onto an electric pole.  It had two lines, “Problems?” followed by a phone number. 

On dialling the phone number, I was given a set of directions which led me to a location in Nairobi's westlands area.
When I arrived at the location, I found the band, Murfy’s fLaW, playing.  I dialled the number again, believing I was lost, and was shocked to see the bassist pick her phone and walk off the stage.  My reporter instinct kicked in.

“I can see you have a headache.  The spirits tell me everything.” she said when we met, even before I asked anything.  She started counting out some tablets from a brown bottle.

“I don’t have a headache,” I said, “I actually wanted to talk about - ”

“Your backache!” she interrupted, waving the tablets at me, “The spirits sometimes have problems translating to English.  It’s okay, this medicine will also work for backaches.”

“My back is fine!” I cried, “Your sign said ‘Problems?’ I thought you meant - ”

“Women!” she interrupted again, “Yes, this same tablet is also a love potion.  Just grind it into the girl’s tea, and she will follow you forever!”

“When I read ‘Problems?’, I thought I was calling a plumber!” I eventually shouted.

“Yes! I was right!” she said, “I was only confused because the spirit word for ‘plumbing’ is the same as the spirit word for ‘headache’ Luckily, if you put one of these same tablets in the cistern every day then flush, it will fix the toilet.”

So, I bought the tablets. I surreptitiously took a picture of the notorious drug dealer.

After this, I then watched the rest of the Murfy’s fLaW show.

Rosemary Owino, a deputy chief State counsel at the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, said better training of prosecutors and enactment of relevant control laws are needed to curb rising cases of drug trafficking in Kenya. [Source]

2 comments:

  1. he he he. A cure-all tablet. I need one of those for when I have writer's block. Good one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal For that, you need to get the blue pill. The spirits say so.

    ReplyDelete